BAMA-TENN Mower Racing Assoc.
March 28, 2024, 09:28:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: We are on Facebook check us out

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

NEW ARMA Legal Super Sportsman

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEW ARMA Legal Super Sportsman  (Read 3296 times)
George Herrin
Administrator
BTMRA Veteran

« on: May 18, 2008, 03:33:34 am »

As you can see I started a new project this weekend. The official owner (my Son Jacob Herrin) has been helping me. This is going to be a Super Sportsman mower. It will use 6 inch wheels all the way around. It will have a special built 700 for this chassis (not telling what I do on this one) and will also double as my outlaw twin for the Nov. races using Kart tires when Ryan Kerr of Ryker Racing comes down. It will have 4 wheel brakes, and have a BIG Indian on this one. This chassis will also be the class legal chassis I use for the speed record run. It should be very rigid and weigh no more than 250 lbs when done maybe even less. As you can see in the first picture The front axle beam is mounted and several other things are done as seen in pictures to come.

here you see the tranny plate mounted. Yes I could have put it under the fenders but would have had to move them forward and raise them the latter would have defeated the purpose of using this chassis. IT being LOW. Also anyone familiar with this chassis the rear section is much higher than the front where engine is. SO I had to lower transmission for belt alignment which also will help keep center of gravity lower. I then used the metal I cut out to box in the area to look better and keep dirt out as much as possible.

In this picture you see I have the rear cassette mounts weld in place. The axle is in the original location just moved up into the frame. Also the lower part of the rear frame dropped down this has been removed (cut square with rest of frame) so mower can be dropped and have that 4" minimum all the way around.

This picture shows the bottom view of the tranny plate mounted and the strentghening I have done in the rear chassis box area. All tubing is 3/4 thin wall. When I say thin wall I mean it. With a flux core welder you best be careful it will blow right thru it if ya not careful or inexperianed. The idea is to stiffen chassis yet keep it light as possible. The squre tubing even though thin wall is strong enough to do what I want.

Moving forward you can see how the tubing follows the lines of the chassis. I notched the tubing bending and welding it together and to the frame to keep it all one solid piece front to back

A better look at the rear box and axle area and how I boxed it in

From the rear looking down at the tranny plate

You can see here how the fender will fit with tranny in place. Fender has been notched to clear back of tranny and chainto pass thru. A gaurd will be made to cover all exposed chain.

This last picture shows tranny in place in relation to fender and dash in its location. Still plenty of walk thru room in this chassis. Also I wanted to keep the same belt length I use on all the box frame chassis and this also dictated tranny location. More to come later.

Report Spam   Logged

George Herrin #6
3 time USLMRA National Champion
8 time ARMA National Champion
Herrin Mower Sports Racing Team/Fat Boyz Racing
Hohenwald Tn. 38462
wk... 615-446-6807
http://btmra.smfforfree2.com
http://www.eccarburetors.com/

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming . . "WOW ---What a Ride

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rebelracing16
BTLMRA Vice President
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 06:11:21 am »

Someone has been busy, looking good so far. Going to be one bad little ride! If it handles as good as the pro-x that will be a bad a$$ ride. And I no it will.
Report Spam   Logged

Larry n Jeannie Favors
BTLMRA Vice President
256-247-0176
 No blade of grass is safe!
George Herrin
Administrator
BTMRA Veteran

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 08:23:57 am »

Yup I took a day off for me.... Have to some times...
Report Spam   Logged

George Herrin #6
Hohenwald Tn. 38462
wk... 615-446-6807

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
George Herrin
Administrator
BTMRA Veteran

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 10:25:22 pm »

made a bit more progress over the week. Thios will be it for a few days. As you can see the dash is done Steering is installed and goes thru its original holes at both ends... But it now has a nice rake  at the top that put the wheel very comfortably in a posistion more like a car.... Here I am checking the feel and angle...

This gives you an overall view of the steering setup. I used a front wheel hub at the frame, a go kart column bearing at top of lower shaft then the knuckle, the used an ec moun t and spherical bearing on top shaft under dash and made the mount using one of the linkage rods from the old parts....

This gives you an up close view of the steering overall.

I had to slide the axle in and see what it would look like with the tires setup I will use at the November event and the trip to cananda to race ole Ryan.... These are QRC (burris Tires) 12x9x6 on 9.5 rims Nothing but tire back there.. LOVE it. I found these from a karter, 3 of the above tires and 4 12x8x6 Burris grooved tires all in just as good of shape 7 tires overall 75.00. Pretty sweet deal. Find me some fronts now and I'll be set. May use a set of the 12x8x6. Not sure yet. For class legal racing it'll have turf ,asters all the way around.

Report Spam   Logged

George Herrin #6
Hohenwald Tn. 38462
wk... 615-446-6807

rebelracing16
BTLMRA Vice President
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 06:27:57 am »

rofl Sweet!
Report Spam   Logged

Larry n Jeannie Favors
BTLMRA Vice President
256-247-0176
johnboy
motivated

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 09:05:37 am »

Man  that ride looks wickid!  I can just see it flying around the corners WFO !  I  see you get a universal steering joint to work with no problem.  GOOD WORK !!!
Report Spam   Logged

yea tho I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil as you will be there to hold my hand and calm my body.
George Herrin
Administrator
BTMRA Veteran

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 11:52:45 pm »

Well The chassis is done and is ready for paint. Here is an over all view of the bottom with belt setup.

Clutch pedal mounted and also removable. The linkage arm was weld to a 5/8 lock collar and pedal drilled and tapped and instead of using set screw I use a bolt screwing into the lock collar right into the pedal. The linkage arm is an extra arm from an azuza steering column kit.

I used a 5/8 steel bushing and weld it to bottom of running board this gives the pedal good support and allows less vibration and noisy rattling.

Using an EC billet clutch you can see how its mounted and the rear pulley and belt in place.

Here is the finished chassis. I used a set of kart side bars for side impact protection on the ankles and legs. As low as this thing is most grills will still get me. Both side bars are easily removed with 3 bolts in case the tech guys do n ot approve these.

Rear view shows the rear bumper ARMA allows and recomends, I recomend a rear bumper if the rules allow it. Keeps someone from climbing up on you in a rear impact. This bumper is one hitchhiker is making and selling to the public. After seeing his pro-x twisted and mangled after the Wilson wreck, his bumper wasn't bent. Its light yet strong. Also you can see how I modified the right side bar for clutch pedal travel.

view of right side of mower if you look at the side of the hood near the rear in the recess area, you see a screw. This is a zus fastner. First time I ever used one on a mower. Makes for a nice solid way to lock sheet metal yet be quick and easy to remove.

and yes it has deck halves as my other builds weld to the running board.

This is the other side deck halve.

Too give an idea on how low this mower is Jake my 11 year old son (he owns this mower) stood beside it. The seat will sit in the recess of the fender will only be the metal pan of the seat with side braces. It will have some dense foam/rubber padding in the seat and back area. As you can see the driver will be LOW.

Now this chassi is complete minus fuel tank brake lines chain shifter, seat, wiring and engine is complete minus heads, intake carbs, flywheel and tins and exhaust. we stood it on end and balance it on a scale (bathroom) and weighed this chassis and as you see for yourself its only 215lbs. It is gonna fall under my predicted 260lbs easily I feel. So now off to the painter, I got a guy dying to paint this thing so he can have at it.
Report Spam   Logged

George Herrin #6
Hohenwald Tn. 38462
wk... 615-446-6807

johnboy
motivated

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 11:37:38 am »

Angel   do you need someone to crash test it for you ? SORRY, I'm unavailable  Cry
Report Spam   Logged

yea tho I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil as you will be there to hold my hand and calm my body.
George Herrin
Administrator
BTMRA Veteran

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 07:23:06 am »

Well here it is, many thanks to Tyler Cromwel and Brandon whom insisted on painting this thing. Awesome job. Even slicker than their own. Nothing left but wiring and chain and brake lines and exhaust. Its at the shop right now (EC) waiting on exhaust if not done this week will go home this weekend to get everything else done. But below is the publics first look at her. Jake hopes to debut it in Canada.

Report Spam   Logged

George Herrin #6
Hohenwald Tn. 38462
wk... 615-446-6807

George Herrin
Administrator
BTMRA Veteran

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 08:11:33 am »

Here is a view of the turf master wheel comboe I will be using for class legal racing roll out is 36" and its 11-3/4" tall and measures 17" od around ceneter with 6 PSI

Report Spam   Logged

George Herrin #6
Hohenwald Tn. 38462
wk... 615-446-6807

rebelracing16
BTLMRA Vice President
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 10:49:04 pm »

Think it will be ready for the Canada race? It really looks fast!
Report Spam   Logged

Larry n Jeannie Favors
BTLMRA Vice President
256-247-0176
George Herrin
Administrator
BTMRA Veteran

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 07:34:43 am »

NOT SURE everything will be done except exhaust this week. Carroll says we will have an exhaust in time. If thats the case then yes it will.

It will come to the fair races and may put a rider on it to have another mower on the track. If yall don't mind the kart tires. I think maybe put Kenny on the red one and me ride this one if it gets hurt I wanna be the one to do it.
Report Spam   Logged

George Herrin #6
Hohenwald Tn. 38462
wk... 615-446-6807

wildthang_sp28

mowing on down the track

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 11:01:09 pm »

sounds good to me if that is what ya want to do rofl that new mower is really looking pretty sharp. if i know george that mower will be one to watchout for cause it will be fast.
Report Spam   Logged
George Herrin
Administrator
BTMRA Veteran

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 10:37:50 pm »

Well everyone remember this one. Then I turned it into a Sportsman. Well It's BACCKKKK!!!! It is now fitted with a twin again. Fired it off tonight. Jake wanted it back its his chassis. So we put stock rockers back on the other motor since I broke a set and had to rob them but these will do for a lil while. Anyhow he is gonna go for the win at Lebanon. And if Tyler has the Super Mod I will run it in Super Mod with Tyler. Anyhow we dot another twin in the club. Now to build the new Sprotsman chassis. Finish the mini and finsih the Super Mod.
Report Spam   Logged

George Herrin #6
Hohenwald Tn. 38462
wk... 615-446-6807

Cromwellc4

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 11:37:27 pm »

Sounds good George Cool
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: