BAMA-TENN Mower Racing Assoc.
March 28, 2024, 09:01:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: We are on Facebook check us out

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

B/S OHV help needed to identify & modify

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: B/S OHV help needed to identify & modify  (Read 1228 times)
johnboy
motivated

« on: June 02, 2007, 04:28:00 pm »

I picked up a single cylinder OHV engine today ( or part of one I should say ) and I can find no model or spec numbers stamped on it as it is missing the shroud and it isn't stamped into the valve cover like some. Measureing with a dial caliper I come up with a bore of about 3.430 and a stroke of about of about 3.075. Sorry but that was all I had to measure with. Can anyone PLEASE tell me what this engine might be??  It seems to have 1.5 rocker ratio which I would like to change to 1.6 or 1.7 IF I can find some during my work on it. I also want to install a good set of springs, a good rod, a light flywheel, and maybe some bigger valves IF I can get bigger seats in it as it is awfully close to the edge of the chamber.           I would appreciate ANY  imput on this engine that anyone has to offer. Cam size suggestions and anything else to help me make a game plane on building this engine.  THANKS FOR YOUR HELP      johnboy
Report Spam   Logged

yea tho I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil as you will be there to hold my hand and calm my body.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George Herrin
Administrator
BTMRA Veteran

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 12:30:15 pm »

there is only two... a 28 series or 31 series stroke is the same in both. Do not have the specs in front of me to tell which you have. If you want to fabricate you can install a set of s/b chevy rockers takes some engineering seen it done though. As for cam call Mike at precision we sell them at ec also 145.00. As fior bigger valves I have run both and see no need for a bigger valve.
Report Spam   Logged

George Herrin #6
3 time USLMRA National Champion
8 time ARMA National Champion
Herrin Mower Sports Racing Team/Fat Boyz Racing
Hohenwald Tn. 38462
wk... 615-446-6807
http://btmra.smfforfree2.com
http://www.eccarburetors.com/

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming . . "WOW ---What a Ride
johnboy
motivated

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 06:31:20 pm »

Thank You George. You were reading my mind for sure. I was thinking s/b chevy or maybe a jap car to try and fit a set of rocker arms to the B/S. The old vanney alum rockers are NLA. Back when I was building VW air cooled engines we often used ratio rockers. On my B/S it seems to be a 1.5 to 1 ratio. Maybe I can come up with some 1.7 to 1's. Just thinking and looking.   Also, on my 28 CI OHV the oil pump only pumps oil through the filter and back to the pan and DOES NOT OIL ANY BEARINGS ! Do you think pipeing the oil to the outside of the block and back in through spray jets ( like VW used in the late 80's) would help in the oiling or isn't needed with the oil slinger? Just a couple of the ideas I have rolling around my empty head. YES- I know, I have entirely to much time on my hands.  LOL    johnboy
Report Spam   Logged

yea tho I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil as you will be there to hold my hand and calm my body.
George Herrin
Administrator
BTMRA Veteran

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 06:52:24 pm »

Why reinvent the wheel. Build the chassis and build a motor then if you like it as much as you think then go exotic. Experiments cost in more ways than one. So keep it simple. Oiling systems is fine as is, if you gonna turn 12000 maybe then you need to do something, but right now we havn't outrun the oiling system. Buy a cam use our springs and retianers the outside spring only and it will run and live just fine. But on the other hand if all you have is time and money then sure reinvent the wheel. Don't take this wrong.
Report Spam   Logged

George Herrin #6
3 time USLMRA National Champion
8 time ARMA National Champion
Herrin Mower Sports Racing Team/Fat Boyz Racing
Hohenwald Tn. 38462
wk... 615-446-6807
http://btmra.smfforfree2.com
http://www.eccarburetors.com/

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming . . "WOW ---What a Ride
johnboy
motivated

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 05:51:08 pm »

OH, I didn't take it wrong by any means. I am just one of those people that ALWAYS has the question in my head that goes like this- " what if I did this". That is the kind of person I am. Birdman Express calls it being hard headed !  LOL !   I have a pair of 1.7 roller rockers for a roundy round car comeing and a set for a drag car comeing also. I will surely play with them while looking for super light valves to go with your springs and retainers and good valve locks. The block will be plumbed for a spray jet of oil to the rod and crank area and another for the ohv rockers for sure. It seems that the ports could use about 2 days worth or massageing as it is a mess in there. The .250 lift on the cam also leaves a lot to be desired. Now if I can figure my way through a set of roller bearings on the crank ( LOL ) I might take the weekend off.  The new reinvented wheel is next.     LOL   johnboy
Report Spam   Logged

johnboy
motivated

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 06:15:47 pm »

Sorry but I forgot to mention the TITANIUM VALVES that I will be working with on this project also. The .250 lift leaves a lot to be desired in the go fast department also as well as that 2 pound chunk of iron they call a cam gear.. Maybe it will be a BEAST by next season !! I am sure working at it and winter gets awfully long for a disabeled ho:censored:e patient.  johnboy
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: