BAMA-TENN Mower Racing Assoc.
March 19, 2024, 03:02:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: We are on Facebook check us out

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Sons 07 Super Stock/IMOW Arma and US Legal

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sons 07 Super Stock/IMOW Arma and US Legal  (Read 2803 times)
George Herrin
Administrator
BTMRA Veteran

« on: December 31, 2006, 09:39:53 pm »

Well my son Jacob has started work on his new Super Stock. We started with a somewhat tore down chassis was missung deck, engine, and rear wheels. This build will use an 820 transaxle and a jackshaft. We will attempt to build it so the chassis is 4" off the ground. We are using a MTD, for this build. I started with pics once he was almost done stripping the chassis. This will be a slow build I am hoping he does most of the work. But will take pics and show progress as it moves along.

This first picture Jake has removed the body work and front axle he is now removing the steering wheel. The object is to strip it down to bare frame.

This picture he is down to removing the deck lift parts. Here is using the saws-all to cut the lift handle in half. Easier to remove it this way. And we do not plan on reusing it anyhow.
Report Spam   Logged

George Herrin #6
3 time USLMRA National Champion
8 time ARMA National Champion
Herrin Mower Sports Racing Team/Fat Boyz Racing
Hohenwald Tn. 38462
wk... 615-446-6807
http://btmra.smfforfree2.com
http://www.eccarburetors.com/

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming . . "WOW ---What a Ride

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George Herrin
Administrator
BTMRA Veteran

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 08:39:59 pm »

Here is Jacob prepping the side panels for the transaxle mounts we are going to weld in

Here we have them welded in We used 1.5" angle and welded it to a 1/4" square tube. Then welded the whole thing in

Here is a view from the outside

Here is an over all viiew. We are mounting an 820 transaxle into this MTD. All ready built one so this really isn't new ground for us. Well it is for Jake. This is his first build.
Report Spam   Logged

George Herrin #6
Hohenwald Tn. 38462
wk... 615-446-6807

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
George Herrin
Administrator
BTMRA Veteran

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 09:09:42 pm »

Here you see the transaxle sitting in place

Here is a look inside the frame. While the transaxle is in place we squared it up centered it left and right and using a transfer punch marked the 4 mounting bolt holes. Then we drilled and tapped for a 5/16 standard thread.

here is a look with it bolted in place Front mounts still need making but the transaxle is in.

Heres another look at it bolted in. I use the very inside bolt holes in the case they just happen to be in line with the side panel. This is the reason we make the mounts like we did. By not going to the outer bolt holes this will allow for our brake setup which you will see in later pictures.

Report Spam   Logged

George Herrin #6
Hohenwald Tn. 38462
wk... 615-446-6807

George Herrin
Administrator
BTMRA Veteran

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 09:43:58 pm »

Here is a look at it in side from the front

here is an overall view of the bottom

As you can see we still stiffen the chassis with the square tubing. This is essentially a prepared chassis and will be built as such.

here you can see we still have just a bit of modifying to do to the case we grind this material away. There is plenty of access here and doesn't hurt cutting or grind some of it away.

Report Spam   Logged

George Herrin #6
Hohenwald Tn. 38462
wk... 615-446-6807

George Herrin
Administrator
BTMRA Veteran

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 10:08:57 pm »

here is the other side have to ntch case just a little still

This picture is of his brothers brake system on his Superstock. We will install the same set up on this one.

here is another look at the disk and disk hub. The is made by none other than Steve Bertrand of Bertrand Hydraulics, also the builder of the big Indian also refered to as the Thunder Twin. 1800-236-3611
Report Spam   Logged

George Herrin #6
Hohenwald Tn. 38462
wk... 615-446-6807

Mowindown

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 10:52:57 pm »

What size is the tubing that you stiffen the frame 1"x1/8" or is that 3/4"x1/8?
Report Spam   Logged

Jed Mercer
AMRA Member
ARMA Member
George Herrin
Administrator
BTMRA Veteran

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 09:09:21 am »

3/4 thin wall. It may be 1/8 but don't look it. I will measure it when I go out to the barn today.
Report Spam   Logged

George Herrin #6
Hohenwald Tn. 38462
wk... 615-446-6807

George Herrin
Administrator
BTMRA Veteran

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 01:23:31 am »

I forgot to measure tube thickness but will get it tomorrow. Me and Jacob worked on his mower today. He got the frame ready to weld the suport tubing in. We also got an old set of spindles I never used dug out and put him an axle together. This first picture you see him deburring the cotter pin hioles in the axles. I had to drill those for him on the drill press. These spindles where built before I worked at EC Distributing where we started adding the 10 degrees of king pin inclination. We are using what we have at our disposal to keep the costs down.

Here you sim him taping the aluminum tubing for the tie rod ends. I do not recomend power taping unless you know what you are doing. I started it tto make sure he was straight and he finished it.

here is another view of him power taping. This is the other end of the tie rod.

Ok you are wonndering what he is doing. he is spinning the tie rod with the 1/2" drill and running scotch brite up and down it This gives it the brushed aluminum semi polish look all while taking the sccrathes and rough look off.

Here is his axle all asembled. As you can see this axle has no king pin inclination. It is old school so to speak. All my new chassis run the EC axle with 10degree inclination. All the parts are EC though.

here is a close up of the left spindle

Here is a close up of the right spindle

Here is a look at the jack shaft assembley. All aluminum. Another product from the thunder twin king himself Steve Bertrand.
Report Spam   Logged

George Herrin #6
Hohenwald Tn. 38462
wk... 615-446-6807

George Herrin
Administrator
BTMRA Veteran

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 09:13:26 pm »

Ok First thing me and Jacob did was open the two 820 transaxles. Rules state it must be 8 to 1 in the highest gear. This 820 is the new one its a 6 speed and 6th gear is 12 to 1. This is the inside look at an unmodifed 820

Here you see the inside of the 5 speed with the 017 conversion kit in it. Notice the diff gear right off the bat is much smaller. I have changed the internal gears and removed 5th using peerless block out spacers and 4th is 9 to 1. So overall pulley set up will be 5 on motor to 5 on bottom of jack shaft to 5 on top to a 4.5 on transaxle. This should put it at 8 to 1 in 4th which is now the higest gear. I have also removed all the factory grease. We will be running gear lube in this one.

Well with the transaxles built and ready we started on the frame. Welding in all the frame support. We are using 3/4 thin wall square tubing. Here is Jacob doing some of the welding. I give him a few lessons on scrap then let him do some of the tacking.

Here is a better view of him tacking in the tubing. He don't like welding to much after he had a hot little BB run down his shirt. OUCH!! Cry

With all the support tubing in we welded the front axle on.

here is another view of the front axle. Again this one does not have the king pin inclination. I had these spindles sitting on the shelf for well over a year so we used what we had.

We bolted the transaxle in place have to make a front support for it so it doesn't pivot under load. And you can also see the jackshaft assy. Word to the wise. If you ever use one of these from Bertrand. put it in the frame before you weld all the supports in and the frame up. I had to cut the sides down some to get it in and it needed some persuasion even then.

Here we are looking at transaxle and jack shaft from the top.

Ok looking inside the frame you can see how I tiied the frame support in kinda of like a this [ it attaches to the top transaxle braket to the lower support tube that runs front to back.

Here is another look from the top. Jake wanted his pic in here some where!!!

Ok here is his brake setup just slipped up on it to get a look. This too was made by Steve Bertrand 1800-236-3611. Home of the Thunder Twin Te:censored:seh's. I am honored to have him as a sponsor. And as you can see he helps out the boys with parts also.

Here you go looking at the transaxle and Jackshaft thru the tunnel of the frame to give you an Idea as to how much we set it up into the frame. Thats it for today. Jabcob already informed me we are getting up at 7 in the morning to get started. I ain't so sure about that but will see. He is excited at the progress we making.
Report Spam   Logged

George Herrin #6
Hohenwald Tn. 38462
wk... 615-446-6807

George Herrin
Administrator
BTMRA Veteran

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 09:12:53 pm »

Well first thing this morning we got started on getting all the body work on with all the mounts.Here you see the cage or support system I build for all MTDs with the plastic dash. It also supports the upper bearing support for the steering column.

Here you can see the flat bar I add to hold the upper steering column support

Ok here is a cheap trick you can do and works for many type chassis. For your bearing supports I take old factory rims cim them so I can cut the inner bearing hub off. I use this for my steering column bearing supports. Like I said we are using what we have at our disposal on allot of small stuff.

Here is a closer look at what I cut off to use. I even use the wheel bearings if they are decent.

Here is the lower bearing in and welded in place. It sits right into the small recess where the column originally goes thru the chassis. I use a 5/8 lock collar to keep shaft from slipping down.

Here is the upper support made the same way. I also put a lock collar here also. With one on top of bottom bearing and one on the bottom of top bearing the steering column stays in place.

Here is an overall view of the steering column.

Here is alook with everything in place and Dash on it.

Here is a closer look with the das on showing the support work and how it runs inside the dash.

here is the rear fender support and how I add to the original fennder mounts. I raised the fenders 3/4 of an inch to keep the wheel clearance.

Here is another look at the fender mounts and support work.

We are testing the fender fit here using some old fennnders we use for mock up work.

One more look from a different angle of the fender and how it fits. We are happy with how that looks so now we will move up front

Here you can see the square tube I weld to the front axle to mount the front of the grill to. Nice neat and simple.

Here is all the body work sitting on it. We are using the body work off his stock mower. Its all painted and ready to go. All I will have to do is paint the chassis. We will paint that Black.

Here is a look from the front.

And another view of it Jacob wanted in the pic with the hood up. He is proud of it. All thats really left is clutch and pedal brakes and pedal and some small little things. Will be a bit before we get back to it. I have some customer work to get to and get ready for the 4 hour enduro in Florida. I promised him we would work on it this weekend so thats what we did.
Report Spam   Logged

George Herrin #6
Hohenwald Tn. 38462
wk... 615-446-6807

George Herrin
Administrator
BTMRA Veteran

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 10:14:39 am »

This is the in:censored:al setup of the belt and clutch system on the bottom from engine to jackshaft. Notice how I use a long cut belt and screw it together to get a good measurement on belt size keeps me from making several trips to the store.

Remember early in the build I has said we were doing this as acheap build using what we had. I built the clutch from spare pulleys and the mount bracket is made from 1x1/4 flat bar. Easy to do and got the job done.

with everything in place we mounted the clutch pedal and made the linkage rod. I used the same material we make the tie rods on the EC axles.

The drive line on bottom from motor to jackshaft is complete belt guides in place. The guides are 3/8 bolts with a flange nut welded to the frame on motor pulley. The jack shaft I drilled and taped the jackshaft plate and screwed them in.

Here is a close up view of the front transaxle support braket. It bolts to the side of case and is welded on the other end to the frame. This keeps the transaxle from pivoting on acceleration.

Now the belt system on top of the jackshaft to the transaxle was very simple. It has no clutch so it doesn't need guides. for a tensioner I used a flat idler of the rear belt system of the original vary drive on the MTD. I welded a flat bar to the top of the frame and slotted it so the idler can slide to adjust tension. Also notice the tight confinement of the shifter.

A real close look at the shifter. I used the origianl arm that bolts to the shifter cut it off to just a nub then using the original MTD shifter bent and shaped it and welded it to the end of the shift arm plate

This is an overall view of the completed shifter. An aluminum plate/cover will slip right under the shifter and bolt down to cover this open area.

Now the master cylinder is mounted to the side of the frame for easy access. using a steering column we heated and shaped the rod into the pedal you see in this photo. Welded a 1inch square tab to the rear for linkage mount. Jacob cut the splined end off and drilled it to a 3/8 hole and I welded it to the bottom and bolted it to the frame for a nice pedal setup. Easier than what I been doing on the other chassis builds. But as usual I am always trying something new.

As you can see here the engine is a a 14.5 OHV. ARMA rules allow the use of the ohv in the super Stock Class. Also you can see the start of the exhaust inch pipe I.D. We wired the system up so it uses the original key swiitch and starter button to start it. It also suses the tehtered kill switch or key to stop it.

Here is the bottom or lower part of exhaust. We used the stepped of  the exhaust off his kart motor to finish the exhaust. He wanted the mower worse than the kart.

One last thing to do before Jake can test it out and that is the seat side brace. Here you see how I do that. Useuing some old seat lace I put thaat on top of the aluminum to protect from any edges and clamp it to the side of seat drill 1/4 inch holes and Jacob bolted it on. Done time for testing.

Jacob suited up with all the safety gear backing it out to the drive way before starting it.

His first pass at speed down our yard/back straight.

an upclose look at him coming off a turn onto what we call our front straight. We have a big yard.

Report Spam   Logged

George Herrin #6
Hohenwald Tn. 38462
wk... 615-446-6807

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: